Breastmilk VS. Colostrum

I had a baby girl last February, soon to be a year old. I have been battling this diaper rash (from her really acidic diarrhea) for 2 days now, I managed to beat the diarrhea last night with oatmeal and water, but her butt is still welted, red, and sore. I read that breastmilk can cure diaper rash, and totally believe it, except I'm out of milk, I am 8 months pregnant and have colostrum leaking from my nipples. Does colostrum have all the benefits of breastmilk? I don't think I have enough to put on her butt, is it ok to express a little? Will my milk supply be short for my child due in March if I express some into a jar now?? Please help

not-so-des-hw

Asked by not-so-des-hw at 6:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried the breastmilk thing and her rash has cleared up considerably!
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 11:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't know about that but I love Aquaphor Baby Ointment
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• no- your body produces as much milk as is needed. expressing a little colostrum will NOT cause you to have a low supply, but the nipple stimulation may cause you to contract a bit.
    best thing I found for that kind of rash is "flanders buttox ointment" you can get it at ANY pharmacy, and it works miracles. my ds had rotovirus, and it was so bad that he was pooing blood- took him to the er, and his butt was so raw from the acidic stools. they gave me a sample an it IMMEDIATELY helped to lessen the irritation. AMAZING STUFF.

yes, breast milk will help a diaper rash, but when it is that bad you need to put a protective layer on it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think her diaper rash may be result of diarrhea due to a mild milk allergy, I don't know that normal ointments would work, but benedryl cream seemed to irritate her butt
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 6:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I really recommend Aquaphor Baby Ointment When my little one was having constantand diaper rash. We did creams the walk in DR gave us and it not work. When I went to see my Dr she told me about it. That cleare it up right away. Whenever we notice a little bit of red we put it on her and she has never had that bad of a rash again.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• "Flanders Buttox Ointment" is by NO means a normal ointment... It is a very soothing base of peruvian balsam, with aloe, vitamin e, canandula (which actually helps to knit back together damaged skin cells), chamomile, lavender... many, many amazingly soothing and protective ingredients that will NOT irritate.

as far as the milk allergy goes- just a suggestion, have her go through an allergy screening to see if she is allergic to nuts (something all parents should do any way- personal opinion), if she is NOT allergic to nuts you can use Nut milks (almond milk tastes AWESOME and is better for her than cow milk- my kids LOOOVVVEEE it).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010