While cleaning do you let your kids help you out?

Or do you perfer to do it all yourself atleast you'll know it is done right...not to mention sometimes they get on my nerves that I'd rather just knock it all out myself.
I know I should let them do it so they will learn but you just don't know the hell they put me through I am being interupted more than cleaning so that is why I'd rather do it myself...What do you think? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think you should teach them. let them interupt you. It will only happen so many times before they know how you want it done and they will do their best.
    my boys are 4 and 5 and at first it drove me nuts but i let them help me anyways. It took a lot longer and it was frustrating. But now i look forward to having them help me (most of the time) and most of the tasks they know exactly how to do it. It gets done faster too sense i have extra help.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Sure. It makes them feel that they are competent and helpful. It doesn't matter how well they do it. Let them feel that they are part of the family effort and feel good about themseves. My Mom wouldn't let me help and she said she could do it better....that did nothing for my self confidence but it sure made her feel that she was better. Not a good way to raise kids, in my opinion!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My 2 year old loves helping! =) Who am I to tell him he can't help feed the cat and dog or help pick up after himself? I encourage him to help. For now it makes chores last longer, but eventually he will know how to do these things on his own and household chores won't take so long. His future wife will thank me if nothing else! Lol! =D
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Our family doctor (father of 8 kids himself!) talked to me about this.

He said it's best to let toddlers and little kids help, even if they're making more of a mess in the process, because that's what teaches them to do chores and participate.

I think he's right. In some ways my girl still just gets in the way or makes a mess, but letting her do it has taught her to pick up her toys, throw garbage away, help me put away the silverware, and with her mini-mop she actually helps me to mop now.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Oh wow this one hits home. How old are your kids?

I grew up liking to clean when no one was home. I am a perfectionist by nature and enjoy cleaning but I ended up coming down with a chronic illness and needed help.

I shot myself in the foot. My girls wanted to help...I did not want them to use CHEMICALS...that is what I called cleaning products. And really I did not have the wisdom or patience to teach them how to clean.

HERE IS THE CRAPPY PART: Wait for it...

They are now 14 and 16 and total slobs!

It is the pain of my existence and totally my fault.

My 5 year old...he will be more domesticated that his 2 sisters combined.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• PS: I switched to products that are natural and safer for my home so even my 5 year old can wipe the tub out... I do not fear hurting their little systems.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I encourage the help! sure it may take longer, and they might make a mess while doing it but....they're showing some responsibility and care for the house and their belongings!

my 3 year old cleaned her own room today.....she crammed everything in her closet but was so happy! she even said "I cleaned my room mommy! are you happy? will it make daddy happy?" - yes, yes it did!

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• SFerber-"PS: I switched to products that are natural and safer for my home so even my 5 year old can wipe the tub out... I do not fear hurting their little systems."

I LOVE how you managed to pimp your little business here, very slick!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Not let, insist

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010