What do I do about no father for my son?

I am not dating anyone, and my son's father is not in his life (this is actually what is best for my son). BUT, he is VERY quick to go to ANY man, so I think he is 'needing' that kind of interaction. He LOVES my grandfather, so we spend a fair amount of time at his house, is this 'good enough'. Is there something else I could do? I don't have male friends, nor would I want to ask my friend's husbands to just take my son, ya know?

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 11:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am a single mom too. As long as your son is loved and gets the attention he needs he will be fine.
    My son will follow my little brother around, or his grandfather too. But he will also follow around a 3 year old boy at the park.
    If your son has a relationship with his grandafther and knows he is loved and sees men ( like his grandfather) being good productive people and loving him he is going to be fine.
    Your son might just want to "hang out with the big boys".
    If you left his father because he is better off ( my situation too) then he is better off. He does not have a father in his life, therefore he does not know what it is like and is not missing it. I mean if he never saw men at all then I would suggest having him play with a uncle or getting a male babysitter or something so he does not end up being affraid of men. But your little guy is going to be fine.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 2:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Wow! Thats a tough one.....See granPa more. If he's a good role model then go with it. When your son is older you can apply to the big brother organization to get a positive male role model in his life. I wish you the best of luck.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Sounds like he has a wonderful relationship with your grandfather..he is soo lucky to have him. This can be his role model and "male fiqure." I would really cherish that relationship and not worry about getting him another person in his life. take care
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My sons father isn't involved either (unfortunately I am forced to have him involved we go to court on the 16th, but he was around for about 4 months then disappeared and has made NO attempt at contacting us in OVER 9 MONTHS!!!!) Anyways, back to my response: my sons father isn't involved and my son has developed an AWESOME relationship with his Grandpa and also my moms boyfriend. It isn't like your son doesn't have a positive male role model in his life, it sounds like he has a wonderful role model that is your grandfather. I would keep it like it is. Enjoy being able to raise your little man the way YOU want him to be raised!! If you meet a guy that is WORTH bringing around your son then awesome hopefully he gets a good bond with him too but I wouldn't rush anything :). Deffinately spend a lot of time with your Grandpa though :)
    Butterflycraze2

Answer by Butterflycraze2 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008