Do your kids not enjoy reading books?

Everytime I want to sit down and read with the kids its always a hassle to get them together and be quiet and actually enjoy the book but they fidget with things, not pay attention, I'm always telling them to pay attention and my patience is getting lower and lower and we rarely end up actually finishing the book and when its over they're off like lightning doing something else...is it bad that my kids don't like to read?? They're 1, 3, and 4 will it come with age? Maybe Im overreacting but I though I would just ask because I'm having one of those days where I feel like the only one.

lvmyhsbnd

Asked by lvmyhsbnd at 6:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would start a special reading time with mommy. Only allow one kid each day to cuddle and read with you that day, if you make is special enough, they will soon be clamoring for reading time.
    I would make a special reading blanket and take a cuddle friend just for reading. Or I would give out tickets each day for a special reading time with mommy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• They'll probably enjoy reading more when they start to read themselves, my daughter (1) is always trying to chew on the books lol, my step daughter never shuts up through the whole thing (almost 5), and my stepson (8) doesn't care for them either. I enjoyed reading to my mom, but didn't enjoy her reading to me as much. If you have problems encouraging your kids to read, get a lazy lap dog and have them read to it
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 6:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I have the same problem and I only have one child. He used to love to sit with mommie and read books together. Now is about to turn 4 and it is almost impossible to get him to sit down and read with me. I hope like previously mentioned once he learns to read on his own maybe he will enjoy reading to me. :)

Best of luck!
    Anonymous

• My first daughter LOVED it from such a young age... and really just sat there and wanted more, more, more, again, again, from front to back. I knew this wasn't typical, but I was in for a surprise with my second daughter, who has been way less in to it. But literacy has so many necessary stages... sitting still and listening to every word of a book from beginning to end is not the first stage... keep bringing out the books. Meet your kids where they are... if they want to talk about the pictures, or if the pictures make them think about something else, follow their whims... if they want to read half a book and they don't care how it turns out, don't be obsessed with finishing it... the idea of a closed narrative is something we got used to much later. Just keep books a presence in their world.. try story time at the library (and don't worry if they don't stop and listen the whole time), offer new books, and limit tv!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son loves reading and begs for more books. Lately, at three years old, he is more active during times we read. I actually started to get a little worried but then reminded myself this is normal. But we also don't do television. So reading is a big deal the way some kids watch DVD's. I have a feeling my child would much rather have television but we made a commitment to not zone out in front of the boob tube and so for three years we have been holding strong.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• maybe try doing it one on one, center the books around their interests. a 4 yr old wouldnt like the same story as a one year old and should be able to use cooler books (lift the flap/ pop up...etc) also bed time is a great time... it is also fine to paraphrase if a book is long winded...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I used to be very very worried about my kids' reading. Snuggling up in bed together and reading is fun, esp at nighttime.
    My kids were in Reading Intervention. I worried. Now two of my kids read quite a bit, and my son is at least a passable reader. Sometimes it just comes in time.
    Be sure they are ready for Kindergarten, knowing their letters. My youngest was not, and was crazy behind for awhile.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My son hated for me to read to him...I never could get him to dsit and listen. When he went to kindergarten and started reading the little paper books they bring home, I thought he memorized it until that summer, he picked up our globe and asked, "what's Arghanistan". I was like Whoa! you can read. He is 13 now and since about a year or two ago, he now loves to read so much, I almost never see him without his nose in a book. Oh, and he was top reader in school 1st- 3rd grade. It wasn't from just sitting and listening to me read...he never did.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• When my kids were little story time was my favorite time of day. It was right before bedtime and they were in their cute little jammies with the feet in them. They'd pick the books and we'd all pile into my bed. They loved it and always wanted more and more books. I still have all their favorites as mementos of such a special time. I hope to read them to my grand kids.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Maybe it's the time of day you're choosing. perhaps if you wait until their naturally calmer.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010