Do you think moms should always put their kids first no matter what, or is it acceptable for a mom to put her career or husband first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think "first" is a flawed concept. Being a mother means multi-tasking, and multi-tasking means being able to give multiple things equal priority.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i think she should have a career in order before she has kids perferably, but that doesnt always happen - it didnt for me, so i try to find a balance for both and am trying to get my career in order while hes still very young. I think a mom should set aside time for her husband, hopefully the grandparents would like to spend time with the grandchildren so that mom and dad can have time for themselves occasionally - which my mother does for us. I think you have to balance everything out, but in general, i would always put my kids first especially while they are young and teenagers, because those are the ages you really need help and support from your parents.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think the kids should come first, but that a mother should also take good care of her husband and herself. Kids are first, because we create them. We make the choice to bring them into the world, so we are 100% responsible for their happiness, safety, etc... That said- it's not good for the kids if their mother or father are unhappy. Parents need to take time for themselves, too. And, of course, we all need jobs, to make money. I just feel like we are parents first, spouses second, and workers third.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 6:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If her kids are older, then yeah she can focus on herself or her husband. But I tend to think attention-wise, you don't need to be up your teens ass. Basic needs like you have enough food to feed 4 and you have 4 kids, you and your man should do without. I think as far as love, your kids should always be first. You should never abandon your kid/s because of someone you're with, even if it is their father/your husband.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well, God is first, her husband is second, her children are third, then herself.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• kids, self, husband, house.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• KIDS - I say that because my parents didn't
    My dad came before me and I was physically abused by my drunkin father unti I was 16
    Their careers didn't allow for much family time.....
    There is of course a balance that has to be in play...I dont take off work if I dont need to, but if my son is sick I stay home. There are many things I would like to do with my nursing degree, but I wont until he is much older. I want a job that allows me to be home at night for dinner ect
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If my spouse doesn't come first I don't see how we can have a solid, loving relationship that will in turn help us take care of our kids.
    Anonymous

• Based on religion, it is supposed to be God, then your spouse, then your kids, then family and friends. (Of course when you have an abusive spouse etc etc etc that changes things). But it is supposed to be if you had to save your kids or your spouse, you go for spouse. I myself really struggle with that because I love my son so much and my mind keeps saying "Husband is replaceable." I know its terrible... but yea.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well said notpanicking!
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010