I am looking for suggestions to show and teach my 14 month old to brush his teeth without a wrestling match between him and I. Any ideas?

My son has cut several teeth now and I am brushing them before he goes to bed. It is a wrestling match between him and I. I am trying to find ways to make it fun for him and for him to want to have his teeth brushed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sing a song while you do it?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Oh man, we went through this. My 16m old lets me brush his (he has 16 teeth now)... here are a few things to try: let your toddler hold his toothbrush while you brush your teeth with your own toothbrush. My son got the idea of what was happening from that, and he'd chew on the toothbrush and eventually let me brush them. Yes, like the pp said, sing a song! We sing the ABC's - it also is a good tool that let's them know that teeth brushing/hand washing is "done" when the song is over!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• WIth my daughter who is 11 months... She watches me brush my teeth then I bend down with her toothbrush and say "Aubreys turn" ,she opens her mouth right up and I do a quick brush on her tops and bottoms, then I hand her the toothbrush and she tries to do it (lol, very cute by the way). I tell her " such a good job!" and "oh my goodness, look at those pretty clean teeth! ".
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This worked for my first daughter: we handed her our toothbrush, and we took hers. She brushed my teeth with my tooth brush while I brushed hers with hers. With my second this didn't work... the wrestling match lasted a couple of months and then one day, at 16 months, she just started opening her mouth a little. We still don't get much time in there, but I think it will get better. My first was so hard and now she's almost 3 and brushes great on her own plus lets us go to town, so you just have to remember it won't last forever. Just keep doing it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son's pedi suggested an electric toothbrush if it becomes a hassle.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• give him a stuffed animal and a toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• We had to wrestle our son for several months. He's 22 months now and is just now letting us do it. It was like all of a sudden he decided to let us brush his teeth. So I don't really have any suggestions other than to say, it will pass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2010