Need suggestions on ADHD treatments for my 6 year old son. So much confusing info out there. Would like to go natural first before trying meds.

Mommyof2x3

Asked by Mommyof2x3 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son is 6 1/2 and ADHD. Feel free to pm message me if you want. I don't want to go into full details here because never fail someone feels the need to bash because they do not believe in ADHD, or meds ect ect. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Start bringing him to the Chiropractor, I heard it also helps autistic children focus more
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 6:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• try the Feindgold Diet
    Anonymous

• My ds is ADHD. He was diagnosed very early, and it was very extreme. We used behavior modifications, diet modifications, and medication together to get it under control. We were lucky that we got to see some wonderful Drs (because there was some problems with his treatments and getting to see a good Dr for it when we came back to the US from living in Newfoundland where he was diagnosed, we ended up getting to go to an excellent one - he was treated by the Head of Developmental Peds. at Bethesda Naval Medical Center - which is the hospital the Pres goes to).

We used the meds as part of the treatment, but not as the sole one or the most important one. Now, he's 17 yrs old, a good kid, good student, and hasn't been on meds in yrs.

PM me if you want to talk :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• if you live around fort collins co, my mom specializes in counseling kids and adults with ADD and ADHD
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• www.nativeremedies.com type ADHD into the site browser and it will bring up all natural supplements you can try. I like the Focus and Pure Calm.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Were food sensitivities ruled out before a diagnosis? Did the dr order a food panel rast test for IgG?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• thanks for all your help and i will post our progress with the course of treatment that we decide to try.
    Mommyof2x3

Answer by Mommyof2x3 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i know this sounds really crazy, but a lot of kids are diagnosed with add/adhd because they have a chemical sensitivity. their body cant process chemicals in cleaning stuff and hygiene stuff and it causes mental chemical imbalances. Go to http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com and you can see a list of some of the common products that people have that have these chemicals. you can also request information and just fill out in the request that you wanted more information on natural products and add/adhd. some one will call you and give you options. I switched all of my products to natural ones and it has made a huge difference in our health and even concentration. the store that we buy from (and that website works with) has some really highly regarded vitamins too and they even offer some that can be used instead of add/adhd medications.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 12:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010