Whining/"fake" cry

Help! My 16m old son has just started this little "fake cry." I think he picked it up from a little friend who does it as well....Whaaa, haaa, haaa. He does this for whatever reason. He communicates pretty well, so the whining is just ANNOYING and he seems to be using it as an attention-getter. It is SO hard to ignore! I'd like to say "use your words" or "your big boy voice" but he's so young. First time mom here... Any suggestions?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 7:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old DD started doing this about 2 weeks ago... It drove me crazy for the first few days. Then I got wise. I simply ignored her. I know its hard, but it worked for me! After a couple of days of getting no attention from me, she stopped, thankfully! Sometimes you have to be the "mean parent" to get through to them, even at such a young age.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Aren't toddlers charming? **grin**

Ignore ignore ignore. Earplugs can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• hey i know what your going through and how you feel im a first time mom to with a baby boy who just turned 1 2weeks ago hes been learning things from my half brother who always get's what he wants the whining and throwing a fit i couldn't take it anymore and i didnt let him see my half brother for a month and i ignored him every time he whinnied thinking hey if i fake cry about this shell give it to me lol...i ignored the whining and every time he started throwing a fit i ignored that to he with notice that its not getting your attention and your not buying it if he crys for more the 15mon go up to him sit him down and explain to him why your ignoring him and how he can confront you for the next time instead of fake crying and throwing a fit..i hope this works for you it did wonders for me
    fristtimemommy0

Answer by fristtimemommy0 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Tell him, "sorry I don't understand whining. you'll have to use your words if you want something." then ignore him. he'll get it eventually
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010