How to transition 3 month old from co sleeping with mom to sleeping in crib?

I don't know if I even want to do this, but she's 3 months old and we have been sleeping on the couch together (i know, not good but i dont want dad to roll over her, no he probably won't but nevermind) and I have been putting her down for naps in the crib and want her to start maybe sleeping by herself? I exclusively breastfeed so it might be easier to co-sleep in the big bed with rails (been pricing them) but I just want some advice, tips or stories? She loves her crib, but I just want to sleep at night!!! She sleeps GREAT with me but wakes up hourly by herself. We also have a bassinet in the bedroom we could use, I just know i'll end up sleeping with her in the bed that way though.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to buy a King size bed before my second child was born b/c we are co-sleepers. When I had my daughter I was very worried about my husband rolling over onto her - but he never did. Now she is 5 years old and still sleeping with us (we have all made plans to get her to start sleeping in her own bed before she starts Kindergarten). My son is 12 mos old and he also sleeps with us. I breastfeed my son and when I first brought him home, he slept in a bassinet beside my bed. Most nights however, we would both fall asleep in the reclining rocker beside my bed as I nursed him b/c I was dead set on not having another co-sleeper. It wasn't him that had the problem - it was me. I was WAY too tired to deal with getting up and down even though I didn't have to deal with making bottles. It wasn't long before I finally gave in and now all four of us sleep together (for now).
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• "I don't know if I even want to do this, but she's 3 months old and we have been sleeping on the couch together "

Staci, this is being said as gently as possible...this is NOT safe co-sleeping. Please be warned; this is one of the ways babies get killed while co-sleeping. Better to be on the floor if dad can't won't sleep on the couch. (And I do understand not wanting to be in the same bed with dad!)

There is a GREAT article on drjaygordon.com on how to transition baby from the family bed. Searhc the site for "sleep." Be advised he diesn't recommend it till one year...but at this moment I'd go ahead and do it now if it's a choice between the transition and unsafe cosleeping.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I know
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Oh Stacie my DH is a cop and has gone to 3 dead baby calls from people sleeping on the couch with their baby. They make co sleepers that can go in the bed between you and dad that don't allow rollover, also I think you need to give dad more credit he will be aware of her just the same as you. We used a boppy in the bed and a bassinet next to the bed, it is much safe to put her in the bassinet, they also make co sleeper bassinets that one side drops off and it butts up to your bed so they are sort of in bed with you. PLEASE ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THE COUCH.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• have Dad sleep on the couch you and baby in the bed
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Be realistic, you are going to end up falling asleep with the baby breastfeeding. Get an Arms Reach Co sleeper or learn how to "side car" your crib to your bed (do a search for it and you will find blogs that tell you how) Find a way to make it work in your bed, which you can make safe for her. Figure out if dad really is a risk factor or not. If he is, HE can go to the couch, or keep her on your side of the bed. Check out Should I sleep with my baby? for info on how to make it safe.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My daughter was in bed with us but no one was getting any sleep... at 3 months, I bought a Miracle Blanket (google it) and realized that she actually loved to be swaddled even though she fought it right at first -- in other words she'd cry her head off for about a minute, and then go into a long peaceful slumber... I guess sleeping in my arm made her cozy in much the same way that sleeping wrapped up tight did. I would have thought that 3 months was late to START swaddling, but a friend of mine made me promise to try because it had worked for her... I couldn't believe it. I still nursed her on demand all night, but she didn't wake nearly as much. The girl had a terrible startle reflex where she would pummel herself in the face with her hands if they weren't pinned down. The Miracle Blanket worked wonders...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My only advice is to make the transition before she can sit stand or crawl. It is SO much easier to transition before she can full out protest!
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We have a sidecar set up. Co sleep safely!   http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010