i definately get the bad mommy award tonight

my son is 21 months old. He bit my finger really really hard (he's been randomly biting all night, even bit SO really hard).My instant reaction was to hit his back because it hurt so much. He looked at me afterwards as if saying "hey what was that for". He didnt cry or show me like he was in a lot of pain, but I still feel really bad. I didnt leave a mark but I think I might have stung him a little bit. I feel so guilty. I am so against hitting. I was never hit as a child so why would I do this? I gave him a million kisses and hugs, read him an extra bedtime book and we snuggled for a while. I will never react like that ever ever again

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its an instant reaction, not ness a purposeful one
    try not to beat your self up
    I think we have all had those momsents where we feel bad after
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• oops.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• gee thanks for that reply
    Anonymous

• It is a natural human reaction to severe pain, what you did wasn't that bad so don't beat yourself up over it, BTW you should not have babied him after, he is learning that he can get away with biting.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I "babied" him because of what I did. Hitting him after he causes physical pain wont teach the lesson at all. I'd rather use words than anything else.
    Anonymous

• I would have bit him back
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You reacted normally. I hope that he learned not to bite or that his actions could have consequences that he might not like. He is probably learning boundaries, and it is your job to help him learn them. Punishing for biting helps set that boundary. If you don't like hitting, then some other punishment, in my opinion, is needed. The naughty chair, for example.

Answer by Bmat at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You should have just apologized and left it at that.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yes thank you bmat I agree. he was a very good boy after the whole thing. he sat on my lap and watched dora, and when it was his bedtime he went right to bed, no complaints.
    Anonymous

• I bit my son back when he bit me before and my husband threw the biggest fit over it. It worked though and he never bit me again. I tap my younger sons teeth and say no very sternly if he bites. He cries when I do that like he knows he's in trouble, so he doesn't really try to bite me anymore either.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010