Question for fellow Catholics

I want to try reading the Bible in one year, so I looked up sites that listed readings for the Catholic Bible and came across one that has readings for the Bible AND the Catechism in one year. Have any of you done this before? Any tips on reading either?

I haven't started yet, when we ordered our Catechism we got a "guide" to it as well and that's pretty short so I want to read that first since this will be my first time reading the Catechism.

If anybody else is interested in doing this, here's the site I'm printing my scheduled readings from: http://www.chnetwork.org/libdownload.html

I saw that it says you only need about 30 minutes a day to do it, but it might be longer if reading both, still looks pretty doable though and I'm excited to get started.

whittear

Asked by whittear at 8:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never heard of this, but thanks for the link because I am going to use it. I am going to set my goal for a year and a half though. I know if I get behind I will stop doing it.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Good luck and great idea. I'll be looking into it...I've thought about doing this but wondered how to start.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thanks mamaada. I'm going to TRY to get it done in a year, but having 3 kids (and hopefully one more on the way) I'm sure I'll miss a day here and there, but it will be nice to have that guide to go by and mark off as I go.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• That's a good idea Katty, having a goal with some extra time should make it harder to become discouraged if we fall behind.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I've studied the bible, but not in a program like this but I think it could be good. I like the 4 steps to reading the bible that I learned:

1. Understand the scene - the first time you read a passage make sure you understand what's going on. A good Catholic commentary can be helpful.
    2. Imagine the scene, in all its detail - this is more meditatve for me - I like picturing the scene, who is there, sort of walk arnd the story in my mind.
    3. Consider a specific aspect of the scene - read it again focusing on a specific aspect (like the actions, words, emotions/motivation, doctrine, what lessons this can tell usa bout living as Christians, what does this tell us about the characteristics of God, typography)
    4. Draw a brief, specific, scripture-based conclusion
    And steps 3&4 can be repeated for different aspects. It's time consuming - but helps make scripture more alive for me.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thanks erin, great tips. I'm under the impression that the Catechism readings coincide with the scripture...? I'm not sure though as I haven't started yet. If that's the case I think that will make specifically your first step easier to do. And I love number two, I just read a little about St. Ignatius of Loyola and his "Ignatian Spiritual Exercises" which I thought sounded really interesting and that sounds like it's right along those same lines. Definitely something I'm going to give a try.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010