Sunscreen?

Has anyone used infant sunscreen on their babies who are under 6 months? I am going to Hawaii and want to protect my son's skin. I have protective swim wear for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. A teeny tiny baby should not be exposed to the sun for more than a few minutes at a time,.. but if you have a 4 or 5 month old who is going to be out with you in the sun, use the sunscreen -- AND limit the sun exposure. That was my pediatrician's recommendation... they all say "for over 6 months" because before 6 months, they really shouldn't be in the sun at all... but the cream isn't going to hurt their skin.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i would look for an all natural sunscreen, really a sun barrier. try protective clothing first. google cosmetics without synthetics for information on ingredients to avoid as well as information on products to buy.
    have a great vacation!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes. Worked great for us. I bought the sun screen at our local organic store to make sure I am not harming my baby with all the synthetics. Make sure to apply the sun screen at least 20 minutes prior to exposing your baby to the sun. That will help the skin to absorb the sun screen. Protective clothing and a hat is also a must! And even if your baby is protected with sun screen, hat & clothing make sure to keep it in the shade! Sun can be very harmful for those little ones! Enjoy your vacation trip
    Trinity4eva

Answer by Trinity4eva at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010