Is an upper respitory infection contagious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Health

• no, its an infection
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 8:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It depends. If you are getting an upper respiratory infection because of congestion caused by allergies, then no, but if you get one because you have a contagious cold, then yes. All an upper respiratory infection is, is congestion in the lungs. The best way to relieve it is by turning the hot water on int he shower, shutting the door, and letting the steam fill up the room. Have someone cup their hand and pat your back until you can get all the mucus out. The best thing for it is tussin with lots of water which will loosen all that stuff up. You need to let it run and cough it all out. Do not take something that will dry it up. Also sleep with a humidifier.

(I do respiratory therapy, so I have some insight on this)
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I would say yes. Especially if you are sneezing or coughing. It would be contagious by way of your saliva. If you talk near someone and spit a bit as you talk, it could spread. Or if you cough into your hand or blow your nose, your hand would carry the germs.

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes, my DS had one and dr said to wait a few days to go back to daycare so he wouldn't spread it.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 10:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010