Am I being unreasonable?

My daughter's name is Annabelle. Is it unreasonable of me to expect her babysitter (and our next door neighbor) to actually call her by her name? More than half of the time, she calls her Anna. We've told her repeatedly that we really prefer Annabelle and if she must use a nickname, we like Bella. She says she forgets or just shortens it to Anna because it's quicker. However the other day she called her Anna Banana right in front of me. That's not an accident..that's deliberately making up a nickname for the nickname we don't like! We really like her in every other way and she's great with Annabelle except for this. How do I get it though her head that she needs to call my daughter by her name?

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 9:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your wishes in this matter should be respected. It seems odd that she can't remember and wishes to use her own nickname.

Answer by Bmat at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No you are not being unreasonable

Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• LOL. Come on...lighten up a little. If you don't like that..wait till she starts school.
    Its normal for people to come up with cute nicknames..and most times they'll say it without even thinking about it.
    Try not to let it bother you so much.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• does it bother your daughter when she calls her anna or anna banana? imo it sounds like you're being nit-picky..... what if your daughter grows up and wants to be called anna? will you say she's not allowed? lol i don't stress when people call my daughter ali and her name is alison. i always call her alison but some people love nicknames... doesn't bother me
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• well, you are probably going to hate me for saying this- but if you really like her and she's good to your daughter, I think you should concentrate on that. Hate to say it, but often people get nicknames because someone came up with it and it stuck- for what it's worth, by someone who usually loves them.
    I hear it all the time- people looking to pick out what their kid will call grandpa, or what nickname is best for their kid- but usually this stuff works itself out-
    take heart, one day Annabelle will probably remember fondly that nice lady who called her Anna Banana and loved her dearly.
    Anonymous

• I think you are being extremely unreasonable. If she's calling her Anna banana it's out of love. I used to teach a Deanna banana. You can't control other people's nicknames. I loved when others called my Tyler T-bone. It means they care for her. You need to lighten up. You can call her whatever you want.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I know it is annoying but I think you just have to let it go. It is hard enough to find a great daycare provider so if this is your only complaint be grateful and try to ignore it, keep using Annabella when you speak of your DD and just accept that this will happen. My daughter is Alice, and sometimes people call her Ali (like my MIL for instance). I find it annoying but it's not that big a deal. I am glad she has people who love her enough to give her nicknames. I know where you are coming from, I just don't think it is worth making it a big issue.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No I personally do not feel that it is unreasonable. however....I have a feeling you are fighting a losing battle. your best bet is to start calling her Bella a lot and maybe people will pick that up instead of Anna. and I know some wouldn't make a big deal of this, but I WOULD.

I am not a nick name person. my name is amanda. I never wanted to be called mandy as a child and still don't. i have always made a point to make this fact known. when i named my daughter i actually thought about the possibilities of nicknames. both SO and i liked the name Victoria, but we both HATE the name Vicki. Obviously Tori would be another nickname choice, but thats not the first one people would do because its the end of the name. So, my daughter is not named that. I picked Adrianna. No one has nicknamed her. She is called "Little Bit" a lot, but her name is not shortened or changed and I do my best to alwasy use her name.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• you're fighting a losing battle.

we do not use nicknames (and we have very nicknamable - is that a word?- names) . just had to keep enforcing the 'her name is.....' , eventuallypeople stopped shortening the names (I have a susanne, victoria, and elizabeth) now even the girls will say "My name is Susanne, not susie" or Vicky, or Lizzy. we've made it known that we do not appreciate nicknames and do not want them used. told someone once, that if I wanted them to be called susie or vicky or lizzy thats what I would have named them.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think nicknames are cute. Nicknames are special between two people. Why should you dictate what that nickname is. Really, only the child should be able to dictate that, but she's obviously too young
    Anonymous