Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could My Ex Sell My House Unbeknownst To Me?

Thank you in advance. After a lengthy divorce, I was awarded one of our homes. My ex. refuses to abide by the judge's decision and sign the house over (Quit Claim). I fear he has done something and would like to request a warranty deed for my safety. Might this be possible? How can I find out if he's done something with the house? What things are possible he could do? How can I protect myself? Please offer suggestions, opinions, support, etc. Again, thank you.


Asked by DOIOU2 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Level 4 (34 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If your name is on the deed, you own the property together and he can't sell it without your permission. You might not realize it, but it takes a long time for a sale on a house to go through - weeks. This isn't something he can do overnight.

    The court can issue a court order that transfers the interest of an uncooperative party (your ex). Generally, if an ex-spouse refuses to sign their interest over by executing a deed as ordered by the court, the court order can be recorded in the land records and will take the place of the deed. The recording of the order will extinguish the interest of the ex-spouse and give you the title.

    Answer by neebug3766 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • This is a legal matter, so I can't help. Your best bet is to get legal help. Good luck. It must be awful to have to worry like this.

    Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • See a lawyer immediately and have the lawyer get a court order.

    Answer by neebug3766 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • I tried to sell my house when I was married. I thought my divorce was final and that the house was mine. Turned out I was wrong and at the Closing the lawyer refused to go through with the Closing until my x came and signed the papers so no he can't sell it without your signature. He can try to sell it and hold the mortgage himself but it wouldn't be a legal transaction. I agree, go talk with an attorney. Many do free consultation.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2010