I think i thrush of the nipples from breastfeeding, can i give it to my baby, should i stop breastfeeding or continue?

my right nipple is cracked, red, itchy, and kinda burns im not sure if its thrush but i read that online and it seems like the same thing

kyreesmama

Asked by kyreesmama at 9:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Health

• yes you can give it to the baby. My mom did something. I couldnt remember what it was, but some natural thing she bought at the health food store that she put on her nipples and cured it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes you can give it to baby-or baby could have given it to you. Continue to nurse-there is no reason to stop. You can get gentin violet (sp?) From the pharmacy (over the counter) and use it on you and the baby, but it turns everything purple. When I had it I got a prescription from the pediatrican for baby and me. Make sure you wash your bra, shirt, bath towel, and sheets everyday. Anything your nipples touch or baby puts in their mouth can transfer it and you can keep reinfecting yourself and baby. Get meds and use them and clean and you will be fine and it will be gone in a week. It can get very painful for you but keep nursing and you will get through it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You can use a nipple shield while you're treating the thrush. Call your OB and ask them for some metro gel to treat the fugal infection. You will probably want to have your baby treated for thrush at the same time so call your pediatrician..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Don't stop Bfing! Yes you can pass the thrush to your baby but thrush is VERY treatable. The benefits of BFing completely outweigh the negative side effects of thrush! Call your doctor and start eating yogurt with acidophiles (an active culture in most yogurts that fights yeast) You can also ask your doc if it's safe to give yogurt (like YoBaby yogurt) to your little one
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Baby likely already has it...symptoms and treatments on kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2010