Stripping membranes to prevent induction?

My due date was Jan.30th and I have a doctor appt in the morning. I'm pretty positive she is going to set a date for induction; however, I don't want to be induced. Should I have her strip my membranes to see if the helps my body progress? Last week I was dia 2 and 75% eff. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my friend did it and she said she wished she hadn't, she popped the next day. maybe you will have a better outcome though. i think dr's really push pitocin no matter what the situation is though bc it's considered safe and it costs a bundle and you're out of their hair faster.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Either way the Dr can not force you to do anything you don't want. The can not schedule a induction if you don't want. They can't give you pitocin unless you consent... If baby and you are fine, there is nothing wrong with waiting. You due date is just an estimate, not concrete...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Hi I don't know anything about stripping membranes. How's that different from induction except that induction is medically induced. Is striping membranes a natural induction? Not a criticisim just a question. I have two daughters who knows maybe someday they'll think of stripping membranes if they have babies.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You can not be forced into a procedure you decline. You must consent to the induction to have it.
    If you truly do not want it, decline!

As long as you and baby are healthy, there is no reason to add unnecessary risks to you & baby. (Including stripping membranes.)

If there should be a complication then you will weigh risks and benefits with your options.

Your due date is the MID-point of the average estimated due period (of 38-42 weeks). It is safe for a healthy pregnancy to wait for spontaneous labor.

If you do not like the care you're receiving, you might look for another provider... (Women do switch this late on occasion.)

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If you on not having any medical issues than simply decline the induction. They can't make you have an induction. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR BABY!!

Stripping membranes doesn't always work and often has to be done multiple times before anything happens. It can also induce infection. You can ask your doctor about it but your best bet is to try natural things or JUST LET HER COME WHEN SHE'S READY!

If you want some natural induction ideas let me know. I had REALLY high blood pressure so my doctor had me try several things to induce labor.

Squatting, putting EPO on my cervix (REALLY helped ripen the cervix), drink raspberry leaf tea to ripen the uterus,use the breast pump in 2 minute on, 3 minute off intervals for 20 minutes at atime.

GOOGLE SCALINI'S EGG PLANT PARMESEAN! I went into labor 24 hours after eating it.
    Anonymous

• you can always just refuse to schedule an induction. or say you will schedule one for the 17th, or something like that.

the cochrane collaboration has a good article on stripping membranes, so i'd google that. it discusses the effectiveness, and some of the risks. i don't think it mentions arom though which is a risk.

probably what i would do would be to refuse any form induction until at least the 14th, and try membrane stripping then. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• it may help, it may not. i had mine stripped twice then was induced. so obviously for me it didnt do anything. if your body isnt ready, nothing will work.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010