african american breastfeeding alliance?

why must there be a breastfeeding alliance for african american women only? am i missing something? are african american breasts different from white or asian breasts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I never heard of this....funny
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Here we go again...people want to be treated equally, but they pull the race card!!!!
    Anonymous

• Who really cares? Start your own alliance if you want to. I am white- but I see no problem when people gather based on something they have in common- I personally would not be interested in joining a group based on my race-but I couldn't care less if others do as long as its positive. I would not be in favor of "African American Breastfeeding Moms Against White Formula Feeding Moms".
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• it's bc there is a low percentage of african american mothers who choose breast-feeding over formula. it's basically to encourage breast-feeding in the african american community. so my question to you is why is that a negative thing? it's targeting a specific community that has a negative perception of breast-feeding........
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• nobody said it's a negative thing... just wondering how/why we support and want equal treatment, yet segregate ourselves in ways such as this.. "AABA"

there will never be pure equality if we keep putting ourselves into separate groups....
    Anonymous

• Ridiculous as usual. As I've said before, the only reason race is still an issue is because minorities are the ones who continue to seperate themselves. They want to be treated equally and like everyone else, but every time you turn around, some group has made their own special group based soley on their race.
    Anonymous

• i think you're missing the point..... breast feeding is not equal among the different communities, so i think it's more need based than race based. and btw, your tone is very negative on the whole topic so i disagree with the 'nobody said it's a negative thing' comment.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• you missed my point.
    Anonymous

• maybe they should cater to the needs of all groups of women who don't breastfeed...

and call the group something other than african american breastfeeding alliance...?
    i know plenty of women of other races who don't breastfeed because they are uneducated about the topic.... they go to government agencies... or la leche league...
    btw, i am anon 1017... not the op. i didn't find anything wrong with op's tone.
    Anonymous

• anon 10:33 well i was talking more about statistics in america, not a poll of people you know. it is targeting a specific group of people who have a low percentage of mothers who choose to bf instead of ff. with all the bitching about wic on here i would think that it would be a positive program. owell i guess it's true you can't please everyone.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2010