need help getting a picky eater to eat...?

I have a friend who has a 2 yr old who just doesnt eat. she i tiny and she just opicks at foods. so far there is no health issue to be worried about, apparently she just got "lucky" lol. so , I suggested cookie cutter shaped sandwiches and that was a hit...so does anyone have ideas on what else to make with cookie cutters? we have pancakes int here too...or really any whimsical ideas would be great. my deqar friend is so so worried about her lil pixie... thanks mamas!

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 10:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Girl, I have a niece who has Turner's Syndrome. When she was little, she wouldn't eat a thing! We found she liked two foods and two foods only.. peanut butter sandwiches and pizza. So, this kid ate that for about five years straight. She is an adult now and I am guessing her eating habits are better.... but the Dr. told them just to keep trying foods until she found the right thing she liked, then it was okay for her to eat it until she didn't want it anymore!

As far as cookie cutter foods, well there is a good ole stand by... finger jello!
    Anonymous

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

• ty poster,I will pass on the advice :) too bad you are anon , would have been a best answer lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010