driving me crazy

Ok @ what age did u start makin your kids pick up there toys? Is there a way I can stop having a huge mess

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 10:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• the mess drags all over the house for years but you can bring a toy bin and start early. Show them how to put toys in their place and just get the process going early. Put away the blocks before getting all the books out, you know?
    Anonymous

• I had my kids picking up toys by 18months-2years old. I would suggest having the kids donate some of their toys and explain that since they cant clean up their toys then some other kid that will keep the toys picked up can have them. You could also give the kids chores and have "pick up toys" as one of the chores.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son turned two in November and he cleans up his toys, when he is done playing he knows he has to put them back in the toy box in the corner or the room, he stacks everything in until toys are falling out but he knows that is his job.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 11:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• As soon as they could walk and carry a toy without falling over, they were cleaning their own toys. First, we did it together, like a game, like "Let's help mommy" and what not. They were doing it on their own by 2 years old.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I'm starting to teach my 11 month old.
    old enough to take the toys OUT of the basket, old enough to put them in. and he picked up a tissue from the floor the other day and put it in the trash, all on his own.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I started with Isis before she could walk- I'd hold her over her toys and she'd pick them up. She's two and knows how to throw trash away, and I've recently started having her put her dishes in the sink after she eats as well.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:28 AM on Feb. 3, 2010