• In the Spotlight:

B/A B/S or Technical School?

I am going back to school. I have 60 units so my Gen Ed is covered...for the most part. I will have to take out loans and get a grant. My question is would you work for the Bachelors or would you find a Technical School where you get a job right out of the training?

(I have a home business in the wellness industry and I am very interested in staying in that field. However my bachelors would be in Communications)

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 10:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• What kind of tech school? I have taught with several schools including a tech school and in my opinion I would go for the BA/BS
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I am not sure which one, but more on the lines of LifeCoach/ Wellness Coach/Massage Therapist/Natural Practitioner.

(....I am a teeny bit confused) I want to earn money...and love what I do.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• if you already have the Gen Ed credits then I would just go for the B/S. I don't believe most Technical programs, especially the kind you are thinking about, will use those credits for anything and you will have to take the entire program schedule. Plus, a Bachelor's degree looks better on an application or resume if you ever have to go find work outside your business.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• From someone who has a b/a, I say go for the b/s. You can do more with it if you ever decide to grow in the future.
    For example, I have my b/a in business and want to go for my nursing degree. Since I don't have a b/s there are all sorts of pre-reqs to take.
    Good luck!
    LorelNicolette

Answer by LorelNicolette at 5:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think you are better off going with a BS. I graduated college with a BA in Communications in May of 2008. I had a baby a month later, so didn't start looking for a job until like October and could not find one with my degree. I finally found a part time marketing job and was at that job for 5 months before the company decided they couldn't afford a marketing position at any of their stores anymore, so now I have been unemployed and actively looking for work since last July. Every position out there looking to hire someone with a BA in Communications wants someone with a minimum of 5 years experience. I was a bartender during college b/c it was great money and it paid my way through, but unfortunately did not get me any experience. So, unless you have lots of experience, good luck finding a job with that.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Thank you for the feedback ABPERTERSON. I have 20 years of admin experience...at all levels. I do have public relations experience.

My heart longs to be in the "healing arts"... I am up at this hour pondering my options. I also have a home biz with Melaleuca. I love that but want to even go deeper with that. More natural, safer for the environment.

I also love to write, mentor etc. (not saying I am any good at it) The communications degree is an emphasis on technology...what to do what to do. Perhaps become a massage therapist and then go back and get my Bachelors while building my biz...I wish I was better at deciding this whole thing.

I really really appreciate the feedback I am getting. I NEEEEEEEEEEEED IT!
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 6:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You have to consider the area you live in. Here in NC, I went to Wake Tech for my Associates in Pharmaceutical BioTechnology, and they did take my general education classes from the university I attended (I also have my BA in History) because there were general education classes required for the associates degree as well. Also, for the associates degree there was a required paid internship and most students ended up receiving job offers from the companies they interned with - so they didn't even have to look for a job! I ended up getting married shortly after school, but many of the students I attended with are working full time and then pursuing their BS in the evenings. Their pay ranges around 40K and up - which is more than I could make teaching with my BA.

Answer by missanc at 1:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Tell me if you figure it out- cuz I want to do basically what you described as well...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010