Expecting too much?

My 3 year old daughter is in dance class, 1 day a week ( for 30 mintues) ..since september..so not alot of time... anyways they have a recital in June and the teacher just started teaching them the dance like 4 classes ago ...

I dont know if the teacher is expecting more or I am not expecting enough... She acts frustrated/mad that these little 3 years olds ( they are all 3) are not learning the whole dance yet..they only practice it maybe 10 minutes a class ( the rest they do little songs & stuff) and since they started they havent had a full month of class ( atleast one class a month is cancelled)
Or is it me...should I expect her to practice more ( we practice at home too) & do it better..or should I just let her have fun dancing with her friends ( they all kind of do their own-made up - dance)

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If she's 3, I don't think the teacher should be frustrated with the class. She should kno that all little ones do at dance recitals anyway is wave to Mom & Dad and watch the kid next to them for cues. They look adorable in the costumes, but it's not usually a technically perfect performance. The main thing at that age is that they are having fun in class and interacting with other kids. It's getting them used to dance moves, but they can't be expected to do a full routine til they are older.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• WHEN I FIRST STARTED DANCE LESSONS I WAS 4 AND WE PRACTICED CERTAIN MOVES AND THEN AT THE LAST MONTHS THE TEACHER PUT THOSE MOVES INTO A DANCE FOR THE RECITAL,SHE'S THREE SHE'S STILL TO YOUNG TO REMEMBER AND HAVE PATIENCE ...LET HER HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT.....HALF OF THE CLASS WILL JUST STAND THERE AND A FEW OTHER KIDS WILL CRY DURING THERE RECITAL DANCE ....SO DON'T PRESSURE HER! GOOD LUCK<3
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yeah that is kind of how I see it...and there is another mom that I usually talk to who sees it the same way...but then there are other moms I talk to who get mad at their daughters for it..and then i can tell they are mad that Im not yelling at my daughter to hold stilla nd pay attention too...which i mean sometimes I will point at her so she knows to stop and watch the teacher...

I dont know...we already paid alot, so she is definatly staying until june ( and then classes restart in sept.) ... but shes even getting upset and not wanting to go because she isnt having fun....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• At three, it should be about the girls having fun and looking cute on stage, not getting the steps down perfectly (or even doing anything beyond waving and pulling their costumes over their heads). As a teacher, she should be very aware of this, especially if it's only 10-15 minutes a week of the actual dance. I danced for 11 years and I would have been hard put to remember steps I was only able to practice for ten minutes each week. Forget the stage moms- just let her have fun. I would suggest finding a different school for next year if your daughter still wants to dance- it won't get any better as she grows.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The dance teacher is asking too much.
    If your daughter becomes upset by the teacher's attitude towards the children not learning the routine, then you will need to speak to her personally. Get the other parent's opinions, too, and see how their children are handling the pressure. You may find that you are not the only concerned parent.
    At the age of 3 the children are only supposed to be getting used to the idea of listening to direction, being a part of a group, and shining like a star on stage no matter what they remember out of dance class.
    My Samantha danced for a bit over 10 years and she enjoyed it very much because her first couple of years were good experiences. Your daughter will not want to continue if the teacher makes her feel like a failure.
    Speak with the teacher privately, if you have to, and be sure to praise your daughter a lot. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2010