Do you allow your kids to do this? What do you think?

The mall where I live has a play area. It has a sign that says under 46 inches ONLY. There is a pole to measure. I take my 2 year old during the day when its only kids around his age. Sunday my husband and I took him and there were kids p that had to be atleast 10. The parents don't seem to watch the older kids, they talk, walk off, and stand outside. Some just sit there and don't care. These kids were jumping off, knocking over little kids, jumping over babies, and just going crazy. We had to leave, because my husband was getting mad at the parents. One little girl(maybe 2 years old) was knocked down and run over, her dad was P-Oed.
It wouldn't have been so bad if their weren' t so many little kids. There were about 6 little kids and 6 kids that were about 7 - 11 years old.

Do you let your kids play when they are to big?
Sorry so long. Just bothers me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• We generally don't go to those places, but if we did I would let my older child play. I would also watch him like a hawk to make sure he was being safe with the little ones. And only if there were only a couple of other kids. I would not let him run around and make the play place unsafe.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i do BUT if there are a bunch of lil kids then no..but i also make sure my kids behave and watch out for any lil kids. and watch were there going so no lil kid gets bowled over. and i watch my kids. and normaly there in something like that playing with there lil brother.
    Anonymous

• I have let my 7 year old play at the mall playground even though he is too tall. He was just SOOO tired of shopping. I sat and watching him closely the whole time however, and he is also very respectful and was not being rowdy at all, he just needed a break.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I was in a play area in a mall ( I do not think it was the same) and two kids older than 7 pushed my little daughter 2 years old. I stood up and went directly to the parents and told them what their boys did. Thankfully, the parents took them out of there. I think they should be at least a guard close by to check on the play area from time to time. It really made me mad the parents that just leave their kids in the playground and go talk on the cell phone or to they friends and totally ignore what the kids do.
    Anonymous

• I let my older daughter who is 12 do this only because I have a 3 & a 4 yr old & I feel like they are safer if she can be right in there with them. She makes sure nobody knocks them down or tries to hurt them. I am watching too of course but having her right there with them makes me feel better.
    Anonymous

• I never let my son play on them at all - the mall here is WAY too crowded and I am scared of loosing sight of him amongst that kaos
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Mine is you have to be 42 inches and under. Well my son is not quite 4 years and already 44 inches tall. So yeah he still plays in it!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yes, but I watch him, have him remove his shoes as is required but few do, and he knows he's to watch out for the little guys and play gently with them.
    I don't care about the height limit as long as the kids who play their watch out for the babies and don't JUMP off the top of the structures without even looking to see if there is a tiny kid below. and it seems those who do are also those who never take off their shoes.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My kids are little too. I don't care if the older kid is helping the younger kid or not being a problem, BUT I do find it rediculous when a 12 year old is trying to play like a four year old and is pushing kids down or causing strain on a structure because he's not physically appropriate for it. I was at Chuck E Cheeses one time and the mom's were playing games whle this group of huge children were riding the little kiddy rides. Five of them on the same little car all at once. The car was built for two toddlers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• For the reasons that you explained DH and I dont' take our kids to those places. Parents who don't pay attention to their kids, or kids who are there alone tend to go wild. I'd rather my kid have a safe environment to play in, then a place where kids run amuck like animals. Those older kids should've had mall security called on them. I hope you or another parent spoke to those older children, because that is unacceptable behaviour. Especially with little kids around.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2010