how do you talk to your child about sex?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 11:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• First, ask them what they know about it. Then elaborate on what they know, and explain things they don't know. Be frank about it, don't sugar coat, don't lie, and don't skip around subjects. Honesty is really the best way to go about it. Answer their questions, even if it is about your own experiences. When it comes to answering your own experiences it's especially important to be honest. You don't have to go into every detail and only explain what you feel is appropriate, but be honest. Let them know how you feel about them and the issue, and also listen to how they feel about it.

Keeping it honest and frank will help the trust build between you and your child. If they feel you're going to be hoenst and open when they ask you things, they'll be more likely to come to you again.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i was very frank and open about it. I answered questions as best as I could, im in the medical field so i also used my medical books. i think google is your friend, so if the have questions that you dont know how to answer, google it. But most important is to be honest and open so that they can trust you and go to you for everything. My dd is 15 and she still talks to me about everything.
    Anonymous

• Ditto with Anon.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I started with their body and explained what they were responsible for and from their I explained what two people did together but mostly I explained the sex act and what sexual protection they should use. When they had questions I answered them and even now they come to me with questions.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• anonymous you said it all
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree with anonymous myself.;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Anonymous is correct!

I made a bit of a mistake with my daughter in the beginning and I learned a great lesson. She asked me about sex a few times and I didn't tell her because I felt that she was just too young to hear those things. One day she was talking to me and she made some comments about babies and sex that let me know she had been talking to SOMEONE other than me. I asked her what does she know and she told me everything she knew, which wasn't a whole lot but it was enough. I used google to help explain things with my daughter and I found quit a few helpful videos that we watched together. Then I gave her time to ask questions. I'll admit that there were some things that I just didn't want my baby girl to every know....lol but it's better that she learned from me than someone else who will tell her the wrong information. I'm glad that I have the chance to stress what's important.
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 10:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I just answer all the questions posed. Very honestly, very openly. We started with the facts of life (puberty, periods, babies, sex, ect) from a VERY early age. As the questions came I answered them. All 3 kids (boys too) knew about periods before kindergarten.... they knew if they heard something they could ask me.

Anonymous