How can you get a child to lose weight?

My 4 1/2 year old was a micro preemie but now ahe is about 12 lbs over weight. She is very active and doesn't eat or drink a lot of junk foods. She had gained this weight quickly after starting taking all this asthma medication. She just had surgery yesterday and the anethesiologist kinda struck a nerve with me by saying if my 4 year old lose a little weight then she wouldn't have breathing problems.......didn't she see in her charts that she had chronic lung disease? I'm tired of these people looking at me sideways and telling me to make my child lose weight and assume that I feed her junk. I do all I can to make sure she is healthy and she eats and snacks healthy, what else is there to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not a whole lot else you can do. You need to understand, she is still growing, and in two or five years, she could be just the opposite of what she is now. As long as she is active and healthy in all other aspects, I would say your concern is to manage her chronic lung disease and ignore the misinformed or uninformed around you. You could check her meds for weight gain side affects, since it went on after she started them. If they do have that affect, you might be able to talk to the prescribing doctor about it and see if they can be reduced or switched. Again, she is still a child, and the weight of a child can fluctuate very often. Good luck with her lung disease, I hope she gets to feeling a little better. Breathing problems are not fun.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2010