Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support

Does anyone know if a person had medicaid for pregnancy, and past the birth for themself and baby, along with food stamps, and is just now going through the child support process over a year later.. if they would get any of the child support? I know that the father has to pay for the birth, but do they also give payments to the mother since she needs it or not until after other things are paid off? Food benefits are different from cash assistance which is why I am asking bc I was told I would get Child support but then another source said I wouldnt get anything for probably over a year. - Oh and this is in Michigan if that helps any.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • i wish i could help, but that honestly didn't make sense to me. what does child support have to do with medicaid and food stamps??

    Answer by aly38914290 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • Oh, sorry it didnt make sense! I will try to clarify....In my state if you r getting cash assistance, the child support from father would go to pay back that now that my childs father will be paying for the birth (paying back the state for medicaid insurance) I am wondering if I will not get any type of chlid support until it is all paid off, like in the case of cash assistance (which I have never received.)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • Ok I live in missouri. When i got my child support I got all my child support. They made him pay back the year I got TANF extra on top of what he was ordered to pay me. THey never take anything of that for any food stamps or medicaid you got. They can't do that becaue you could be getting the FS & the medicaid regardless of the child support. The only time they take any of the child support is if you were getting TANF & keep gettign the TANF instead of taking the straight child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • I don't believe what you owe in bills, etc has any determination as to what he is required to pay in child support. If the court orders him to pay child support it is up until that child is 18. Check with your Child support services office. Or go to your state's government website to find out for sure.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • Yea, I have never heard of them making the father paying for the birth if you are on medicade. Why would they make him pay and not you? If you get cash, yes they will take your child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • I didn't get anything for a long time then I got a percentage until all the money was paid to the state that he owed them. Then I finally got all the money but it does take time.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

  • Bc he has an income and I dont anon...try READING the question. I said I am NOT getting cash assistance. Gosh damn the ppl on this site can be so freakin dumb.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.