has anyone had a teenager close their dental gap? If so, did they use braces or just a retainer at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My two dds had braces. When growing up my dentist said all dental gaps can be fixed by a retainer only. I wish he had been alive when I had to pay for those braces for the kids!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Not sure what a dental gap is, but I've had two "closing" experiences...
    My son had a split between his two front baby teeth. I was told that's a good sign the adult teeth will fit, but if it's there at age 7 or so, they'd clip the attachment from gum to lip. He ripped it in a minor incident at age 4. No issues.
    My daughter had a space between her upper and lower teeth on one side. The dentist wanted her in braces. ($5K) we went to a tongue therapist for a year ($1500) and the teeth grew in fine once the tongue stayed out of there.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My son had an underbite. He had braces on top front 4 only...fixed all that. $1500.00 paid out over years at $123.00 a month.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm not sure, but I think the child might need braces for that.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2010