what age do you have "the" talk with your kids?

Another question made me curious about this. I really have NO clue.

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not one talk, it's an ongoing series of talks that start right from birth pretty much. Beginning with teaching the proper names of things and going from there, age appropriately, until they are grown up. I just had to explain to my 11 yo ds what a "boner" and an "erection" is.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• ok so when do you explaine sex? I guess I should have worded it better. Of course there will be more than 1 talk thorugh their life, but what age is appropriate to talk about sex and babies?
    My mom had 1 talk with me which ws very techical and that was it ever, so I really dont know what when how.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Once again it's an ongoing thing. I don't plan on having one sit down talk with any of my kids about sex, babies, etc. My older boys know most babies grow in the mom's tummy and that some mom and dads have to adopt (or choose to). My oldest is 11, so we haven't gotten to the mechanices of sex, but he does now know what an erection is. They all know that only girls can have babies, and that it takes a man and a woman to make a baby. My oldest knows that there is an egg and a sperm, but not how they get together. What we try to do is take everyday situations and make them teaching moments, so it's a little more relaxed for all of us. I can remember my mom being so nervous and uncomfortable and me being the same way when she took me aside for a "talk". I don't want it to be that way with my kids, so we just make it another thing we talk about, instead of a hush-hush big deal.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• theres no magic age, you can only answer truthfully as asked, start by calling body parts by their correct names, the answers should be age appropriate. mommy and daddy loved each other so much God gave us a baby onto the baby is growing in my uterus etc. it usually happens when the know-it-all at school tells your kid some scarey untrue fact about sex and as long as you explain it matter of factly and truthfully with each question throughout the years your kid will come to you and ask. here they have health class in the 5th or 6th grade and that was when my kids came with all the major tell me exactly how questions. as long as you have been truthful throughout the years the answers will not be hard, include with each conversation your views or morals on sex ( married/committed/relation) to birth control and leave the door open so they will know they came come to you no matter what! good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes I agree it is not really just one talk. My son is 6 and knows about eggs and sprem and all that BUT not that they get together by having sex but I will bet I will have to say something with in a few years. You also have the talk about your private areas and whne not to touch yourself(you know the do it in your room by yourself talk) This is all connected to sex one way or another.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Probably sooner vs. later. Kids get sexually active pretty early these days, much earlier than most of us think.
    Not the easiest of topics. How much do you say, when and where?
    Here's a link to two good articles on
    (1) Sex education for preschoolers ( http://bit.ly/8JZ3ih ), and
    (2) Reviews of picture books you can use to talk to young kids about sex ( http://bit.ly/7klQSf ).
    Hope this helps.
    littlehero

Answer by littlehero at 9:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010