Is it merely stupidity that makes some assume that being low-income automatically means a person is on welfare?

Because I can name at least 5 dozen friends/family members who are low income, and don't receive any government aid.

What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• YUP pure stupidity indeed.

My income is lowish, and NO pa here. Single mama struggling but making it on my own.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sometimes it's stupidity or ignorance. Sometimes it's a lack of appreciation for how much they have, which makes it hard to understand how others can comfortably live with less money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• no matter what you say, some folks will turn around and say you WILL be getting welfare if you get EIC. it is total ignorance
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I believe we would be considered low income and don't receive PA or get EIC. Some people choose to make it on their own. Not everyone who is on PA or gets EIC is a loser living off the system. My sister got PA for a while when she was going to school (only while getting her associate degree) . I'm pretty sure she has paid back the system by now (she has a masters degree now and has a great job). People need to worry more about helping each other out and a little less about what they're getting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What is your point? It's really not our faults that this is what society has come to mean. It's well, society itself. Usually the lower income people do have to be on some type of welfare, be it food stamps, medicaid, or even some utility assistance. It is what it is. You cannot tell me that any lower income person has NEVER received any type of help or assistance EVER. Anyway, not defending anyone or not, but there are some high income people who need assistance now and then as well. People cannot afford to have massive medical bills for an illness, whether you are high or low, and not need any assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The sad part about PA is the low income people who could actually use the help make "too much" to recieve help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think it's more ignorance than stupidity. It's hard to imagine a family of 7, like mine, living on $30,000 a year with no food stamps, Medicaid, energy assistance, etc. We do okay without PA even though we qualify, but we work hard. We burn wood for heat, raise a huge garden and preserve it. We don't go out to eat every week, we don't take very many vacations if any and we're okay with that. Many people aren't able or willing to do that, thus they can't imagine living like that and just assume that low income people get PA.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Thank you Michiganmom116. We do the same with our large family. We did however break down and sign up for Medicaid this year when it became apparent that work was not going to be found easily after both my husband and I were laid off in a mass layoff. If things continue the way they are and jobs do not come we might just have to go in for more government help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2010