My 7 year old Charlie

My dog, charlie, sleeps in the garage at night. My mom took Charlie into the garage and when they got inside, so was the neighborhood cat. The cat was up on the workbench and he spotted her right away. He started growling and barking like crazy trying to get her. He wouldn't listen to a word my mom was saying. Her husband came out and tried commanding him to get down. Then he grabbed Charlie by the collar to pull him down. Charlie bit him on his arm. Haven't seen the wound for myself, because it was covered with two band-aids.

They want me to take him to a shelter immediately. They haven't fed, played, or trained him in anyway in over a year. I suggested that Charlie deserves a chance to prove he can be obedient, we seek out a trainer, or a behavioral specialist to help to evaluate and correct his obedience issues. They say he can't be trusted.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pets

• If he's your dog, why isn't he with you?

Given the situation, it sounds normal that the dog would react like that. At the same time, aggression towards a human is not acceptable. Has the dog been agressive before at any time?

Odds are if this were to be reported the dog would be put down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My dog did thid to my husband, My Dh Grabbed hiscollar to let a freind in our back yard, while Mir wasbarking up a storm. Mirmar bit Dh not hard just like it took him by surprise. Then we started noticing He asn't paying attention to the kids when they were plaing in the yard and Our other dog would curl up with him and it would make him jump. I took him to the vet. He had in ear infection that wehad not noticed. He wasn't hurting andthere wee no sighs of it. But he was dm near def. Now he is back to him self. Honestly though it sounds as if they really dont pay him any attentin. I woud try to find him a home in a family with no kids.
    MOTHERBEAR6

Answer by MOTHERBEAR6 at 2:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think that he needs a second chance you can't do that to an animal who is basically hunting and not expect to get bitten.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Ya you can't blame a dog for reacting like a dog. Your father shouldn't have handled him like that. I would have bit him too. If the bite can be covered with 2 bandaids then it's not that serious. Why is Charlie at your parent's place and not yours?

I definitely wouldn't leave him at your parents after that. The obviously shouldn't be responsible for him any longer.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Well he was given to me when I was 14, and I'm 21 now with my own daughter who is 15 months. I'm at home for the time being and was working late at the time of the incident. We will be moving soon, and won't be able to have dogs too. I couldn't agree with you guys more!!
    Anonymous

• Awww poor Charlie. I hope you find a good home for him :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010