What is the best way to wean off formula?

My son will turn 1 February 10th. He has always been on a feeding schedule. we are trying to modify it to wean him off formula. Right now he has a bottle @ 6am, baby food and regular milk(in sippy cup) @ 9am, baby food and bottle @ noon, somedays a bottle @ 4pm, supper @ 6pm and a night-time bottle @ 8pm. We give him table food when he is @ home. Any suggestions on transitioning him?

roberts_mommy09

Asked by roberts_mommy09 at 8:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HEY! My boy will be 4 on Saturday(6th!)! YAAAY, February babies! *cough* To answer your question, even now, you can start by adding 2 ounces of whole milk and mix it with 6 oz of formula. Tomorrow do 3 ounces, etc...until his birthday. I started transitioning my kids as soon as they turned 11 months, because my pediatrician said it was okay. HTH! If you have any other Q's or concerns, of course call your baby's doc.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree, do it gradually. The proteins in cows milk can be hard on their tummies at first so going 2 oz at a time is a great idea. I changed my son over that way but we did it by the week. So 2oz milk:6oz formula for a week, then 4oz milk:4oz formula the next week, and so on. Worked great for us. That's how I did it with my first too.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think Krysden is right on...He doesn't HAVE to be completely off formula by his birthday! If you want to wait an extra month, just so his tumtum can adjust to the milk, that might be better for him! :)
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 9:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• thanks for the good advice :)
    roberts_mommy09

Answer by roberts_mommy09 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i wean my son to regular mil when he turn 11 mts. i ddint it by mixing milk with formula. for about a week and then i moved to whole milk. on friday. today i took his bottle and his on a sippy cup cold trukey.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010