How can I get my 2 1/2 yr old son to stay in his bed all night long

He starts off in his bed then around 11pm comes and crawls in our bed. I bring him back but he does this back and forth all night long. Sometime he will even put up a fuss and not want to go in his bed at all. He'll usually end up sleeping between me and my hubby...we are too tired to keep doing this all night long + we both have work the next day at 7am!!!!

I am not the kind of mom that believes in closing the door and letting him cry it out. 1st he is very sensitive and the Ferber method has never worked on him, even as a young baby. 2nd I have a 1yr old who is a great sleeper and I don't want my 2yr old to wake him up with his midmight tantrum...anyone going through the same thing?

Any advice is very appreciated.
Thank you
Cammarke :)

cammarke

Asked by cammarke at 8:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 or so seems to be an age where children do this. If you really don't want him in bed with you, you must be consistent, otherwise he learns that all he has to do is to be consistent himself and he gets his way. Perhaps you can insist not that he stays in bed but that he stays in his room. Have ample nightlights in there and tell him if he doesn't want to sleep in his own bed then he may play quietly in his room.

Answer by Bmat at 8:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• rolling on floorduck tape

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I am having the same problem with my almost 2 year old. I don't want to let him cry it out either but instead of crawling in bed with me, he's waking 1-8 times a night calling my name and crying for me..I am glad he's staying in bed but I can't not go to him otherwise he really works himself up.. then he wakes up at 5am to start the day....this started around his birhtday in Nov when he caught a cold and threw up for 12 hours.. I don't know.. I am so tired myself..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010