Mucas-like poop with clumps? (TMI)

My DS, who is nearing 4 mnths, has been having 3-4 poops a day for about 2 days now. Normally he has 1-2 a day and they are rather pasty. Lately, however, they have been a mucasy texture with clumps (sort of like cottage cheese smothered in mucas). It's a greenish color as usual, but it's the texture that has me worried. The only other time he has had poop like this was when he was only a few days old in the NICU, where they said it was normal for the first few poops to be odd. His diet is the same as it has been since about 2 mnths - Gentlease Enfamil (5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours on his demand). Is this normal? Should this be something to be concerned with? Or am I just having first-time-mommy worries?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know anything about formula baby poops, since I have only breastfed, but that doesn't sound good. It sounds like diarrhea, or maybe a milk allergy. I'd see a doctor.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Baby poops differ, If he's not running a temp or having any signs of sickness, I'd wait and see if it continues. A doctor won't have much to go on with one poop. You might try CALL-A-NURSE in your area. I would call them when I needed my fears calmed and they'd advise my of first-time mommy worries or if I needed to go in. Good luck. PS-I was always worried about stools. We do tend to over-analyze at times. Hugs!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• to me that sounds like what my daughters looked like and I was told it was lactose intolerance. When I was breatsfeeding I had to cut out all dairy from my diet and her poop went back to normal.
    beckygeiger

Answer by beckygeiger at 9:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Beckygeiger, lactose intolerance means an INTOLERANCE of LACTOSE, the main sugar in ALL milks, including human milk. What your daughter had was a dairy sensitivity, which is different.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2010