At what age can you start teaching kids how to swallow pills?

I have always had trouble swallowing pills. To this day I gag and choke on the medium and larger sized ones. My DD is 6 and I don't want her to have the same problem all her life, but I don't know when her throat will be the appropriate size. My friend said her mom taught her with m&ms and I thought it was a great idea. Should she be 10ish before we start?

Lorelai

Asked by Lorelai at 8:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• Your DD is not you. Many medicines now a days come in liquid form.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• we fought and fought o get my daughter to take pills- it was a nightmare...only about the last 2 or 3 years has she been able to do it (she is 16)
    My son hasn't had a rough tim with it- he's been fine for the most part.
    I can swallow almost any pills without anything to even wash them down with so- everyone is different!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• my 7yr old sd swallows pills and has for a year. I got my 5yr old sd to swallow a tylenol the other day. Dh sat there and laughed at me trying to get her to do it. I was taught to do it with tic tacs and m&ms but I did not have time to do that with the 5yr old. she was running a fever and i could not find the liquid. I told her to put it on her tounge and drink something. Dh says get them to put it in the back of the tounge then give them something to drink. Do not let on that you have issues doing it yourself. If she gets it in her head that she can not do it before she tries, she will not be able to do it.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My youngest has been swallowing allergy pills since right around his 2nd birthday. They're tiny, I put it in a bite of applesauce, give him another bite immediately after the loaded one, and then make him drink. He's capable of swallowing them with just a drink, but the applesauce was a teaching thing. My 4.5 yo does okay with the allergy pills, but can't swallow a melatonin. My 6.5 & 8 year olds swallow a melatonin almost every night with no problem. IMO the earlier you teach them the better. I wasn't "taught" til I was probably 12, and then it was forced - and to this day I hate swallowing pills and gag on some of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2010