What can I do to help him use a spoon?

I have been watching a 27 month old boy 5 days a week since he was 3 months and I stopped physicaly feeding him about 2 months ago. I give him something that needs to be eaten with a spoon (applesauce, oatmeal, etc)at least once a day and he's still not getting it. I guide his hand for 2-3 bites each time, but when I'm not he still is flipping the spoon upside-down before it gets to his mouth and dumping the food on his shirt/tray. I have tried different kinds of spoons and I'm getting a little frustrated. Is there anything else I can do to help him learn this?

Lorelai

Asked by Lorelai at 8:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you should let it get you upset.I think they all start in their time, and it's just fine! I have 5 kids and I can tell you 3 of them did do it when ready and yours will to, even if it's not in your time, it will happen, just keep giving him the spoon to try and he'll get it. Try not to think he should do what the little boy you watch does at the same timeing just because that boy did it.It's good if he can see that boy eat ,mabee that will help him increase the want?
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2010