Something we can ALLLL agree on......Babies

New research from a team led by a Children's Hospital Boston neuropathologist sheds light on a possible biological cause, pinpointing a defect in the brain that might account for babies who suddenly and unexpectedly die during their sleep. The findings, published in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association, build on previous work that scientists hope will one day lead to a test and treatment.

Isnt this GREAT?? Think of all the babies this could save! Do you think this will end the "back to sleep campaign?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Ohh I hope the problem has really been pin pointed and can be fixed..interesting and wonderful..GB the babies
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree! Identifying the source is an enormous step to finding a solution. Thank you for sharing this. It really sheds a light of hope on such a devastating issue.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I thought this was old news? Not saying it isn't Good news, but I remember reading this when I was pregnant with my son. (And he's 15mo old!) But I really hope its something they can study on further and find a way to stop SIDS. A friend of a friend just lost her 4mo old to SIDS :(
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 10:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• That is wonderful! My family has a high incidence of SIDS, 6 babies among my sisters and my first cousins on my moms side. I was scared to death when my babies were little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The "Back to Sleep" campaign has been extremely successful in reducing SIDS. I would prefer NOT to see it end.

My friend's infant daughter was one of those who just stopped breathing for no reason. Luckily my friend found her, blue but still alive, and managed to resuscitate her. The baby wore a monitor for about a year afterwards. 

It's unlikely we are will be scanning every newborn's brain for defects, but it would be good if they could pinpoint certain traits.  I will be interested in hearing the results of their research. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Awesome! We should post more uplifting stories like this.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What I find odd is that at the end of the article it says they still want people to follow the "avoiding known risk factors parents can control, such as bed sharing, soft bedding, and smoking while research on the biological causes of SIDS continue." I have always wondered....is it SIDS if a child is suffocated by soft bedding ect ect?? Wouldnt SIDS be something caused internally?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Momof, SIDS dx is a catch-all for any baby who dies unexpectedly and without obvious cause. Children who actually just stop breathing and die are in the minority. That is why the "Back to Sleep" campaign has been so successful.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Gotcha mancos. My ds is 21 months and I STILL find my self checking if he is breathing when he sleeps!! This condition is something that scares the the mess out of me! If they can pin point this as the cause I wonder what they DO to counter act it. AND does the seretonin levels ONLY affect babies sleeping laying down. I mean, if the level are low does it matter HOW you put them to sleep? If they find THIS is the cause AND are able to check for it, I wonder how you treat it......
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2010