I need Sleep help please.......

My son who turned 2 in Nov got sick right before his birthday, he was still in a crib at the time but it was converted to a toddler bed, well he got a 12 hour throwing up bug and I was laying on his floor next to him to help him when he puked each time. Ever since then he stopped sleeping through the night. I have never slept with him before this. But now he wakes anywhere from 1 time to many many times. Sometimes I can go in there and just rub his head and tell him to go back to bed, sometimes It takes me having to lay with him to calm him down and will take up to 30 minutes to calm him down. They are not night terrors that he is having but bad dreams? maybe? he's awake, staying in bed just crying for me. If I dont' go in there when I first hear him, he ends up crying and wokring himself up til he is sweating, if i do go in there, most times he'll go right back to bed. But they are multiplying. last night it was 10 times.help

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is a tough one. It sounds like you are doing the right thing and I would just continue to do that and hope that he snaps out of it soon. My son finally quit sucking his thumb, and got a new bed. He's 4. And about a week before this he was finally sleeping in his bed all night without getting up and coming into my bed. Well since he quit sucking his thumb and got the new bed, he is crawling back into bed with us every night. I never realize he's there until I wake up. i could lock my door, so he wakes me up and i have to get up and put him back but I don't...???? Maybe it's wrong, but I work outside of the home and I wish I could spend more time with him, so when we crawls into bed with me and cuddles, I like it...
    8mama2005

Answer by 8mama2005 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I hope so... thank you. Its going on 3 months and I am thinking its forming a habit, I just don't know how to break it before that happens.. I worry about him too, this cant be good for his development not getting enough sleep at night.. I really wouldn't mind being able to cuddle with him when or if he's having bad dreams but he's always had so many troubles sleeping and not wanting to go to bed... I don't know what to do .....He is in a big boy bed since right before christmas and he's staying IN bed, but awake for 2-3 hours in bed is still too long for a 2 year old to be awake, especially when he wakes at 5:30 most mornings.. I don't know if I should bring him to a dr to get a sleep study done or if this is a common thing for this age?? Like I said, sleeping has always been an issue for him but this is insane.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2010