What are stay at home moms teaching their 2 year olds?

I am currently staying home with my 26 month old little boy. I want to teach him things that he would be learning in daycare. Anybody have ideas on what I should work on with him? I would also like ideas for art projects and fun learning activities. Thanks girls!

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I talk all the time. Talk about what I am doing and what she is doing. We do lots of reading. For art we do play dough, shaving cream, painting, crayons, markers, stickers. We have a craft area for them and they can chose what they want to do.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Learn the American Sign Language alphabet and teach it to him...Learn easy signs-like Milk, hungry, help, look...etc. Write the alphabet and say the letters, and the sounds that they make.
    I did that with my kids. My dd was reading by preschool, and my son, who is soon to be 4, is already reading simple words.
    Learn how to count in different languages...to ten or twenty. Count backwards. It may seem like a LOT, but kids LOVE when you talk to them anyway-we may as well make use of that while we can! LOL!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Counting
    ABC's
    shapes
    colors
    (he knows his body parts)
    expanding vocabulary, forming sentences
    coloring
    sharing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i am working on getting my daughter to talk damn it...she has to go to speech therapy, her mouth just isn't cooperating with her thoughts and feelings. but, we build puzzles, work on abc's and colors. I read to her, we color together. I help her identify new objects. Give her simple tasks to do and praise her for them when she does it right. I have been working on her helping me pick up her messes and understanding that.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

--------
    This is also where ASL comes in soooo handy!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• watermelon- yeah, that is what the speech therapist recommended until she starts to speak better. Hubby and i would have to learn too.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Phew! I'm so glad I read this post! I'm doing everything on here (except sign language) and I always feel like I'm not teaching my DD enough. Its reassuring to see this kind of Q&A. Thanks mommas!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

------
    It's really not hard. Y'all can do it! :) <3
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• my kiddo is in daycare.. and is 2 1/2
    she knows all of her letters, colors, can count to 10, knows how to sing the wheels on the bus, patty cake, humpty dumpty, stuff like that. they are working on shapes now..

so i would work on that stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• by the time dd was 2 1/2 this is what she had learn

abc, shapes,colors,numbers 1-20 sheis now 3 and we are working on reading 3 letter words. she has cat,ape and dog down.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010