Does this work?

Do you take away extracuricular activities if your child is doing poorly in school? Or do you feel they need it to DO BETTER IN SCHOOL?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I take them away! My dd playing on nickjr or playhousedisney is NOT doing much to help her in school. She messes up, that's one of the first privelages to go.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Extracurriculars would be about the last thing I would take away. My oldest son does not like school very much, and being involved in sports and drama club and band club have really helped him like school a lot more and be more engaged in school. He's doing better socially and academically. There are a lot of other things I would do or try first before taking away extracurriculars for that reason. (Unless the behavior problem was specifically with the extracurricular activity, then it would be a natural consequence to have to drop that activity and I am big believer in natural consequences.)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I havn't gotten to extracurricular activities as far as sports yet. I would say no. But, i would take away tv time, computer time, video game time, etc. But not the activities that get you out of the house and you are paying for them to partake in.
    8mama2005

Answer by 8mama2005 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think people are confusing leisure with extra curricular activities. Either way, I would only take away extra curricular activities if something major happened, or if a particular behavior continued. I believe that EAs are extremely important for a child to experience. For many people, EAs keep them out of trouble, give them structure, a sense of community, even leadership. Often times, EAs help to correct bad behaviors. The threat of losing an EA that the child is VERY deeply involved in is often enough to get them to shape up.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2010