is one cup of coffee ok during pregnancy

i just found out i was pregnant, i have been trying to take out caffiene from my diet. NOW down to one cup of coffee a day. Is it ok to drink one cup of coffee a day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I my opinion , Yes. I drank one everyday and just cut out sodas tea etc.. The caffine headache was WAY worse than that little bit of coffee!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yes it is... if you are truly trying to eliminate caffeine, keep in mind that some teas & pop have more caffeine than coffee. But enjoy your cup o joe one is absolutely fine!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree. yes. One cup of coffee will not hurt you but I definatley wouldn't overdue it with too much caffeine.
    8mama2005

Answer by 8mama2005 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yep... I usually do decaf but some places dont sell it so occasionally Ill have the strong stuff. They say dont overdo it on caffiene and you shouldnt have more than 300mgs(the amount in one cup of coffee) a day. GL
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 10:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• agree.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 10:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• http://www.babyplaceonline.com/Pregnancy-Central/Caffeine-Use-During-Pregnancy/

caffeine is easily transferred through the placenta from mother to fetus. Since fetuses have a much less mature metabolism, a fetus may experience higher levels of caffeine for longer periods of time than its mother.
    Some studies have reported that even small intakes of caffeine affect the heart rate of the fetus and the fetus' movement patterns.

i agree that it's "ok" but be aware that caffeine does affect your baby. i'd try to limit caffeine as much as possible
    Anonymous

• just going to note that what the PP said about how much caffeine is in a cup of coffee is WAAAAYYYYY off. A 6oz cup of regular brewed coffee contains between 40-60 mg caffeine.

I am in the habit of taking 200 mg caffeine pills to help ward off migraines when threaten, which most people can not take without becoming physically jittery. Which Is why I said "be ware" of other caffeine sources that most people do not think about while pregnant. ot is recommend across the board by OBs that you not consume more than 300 mg daily- which would be about 4 cups of coffee, tea, or pop total.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010