My daughter is having here 3rd birthday this weekend. I was thinking about not having her open her gifts until after everyone leaves the party. There will be a few kids her her age. I know my daughter will want to open everything & not share so I'm thinking that is why we should wait & open gifts after everyone leaves. Any thoughts on this?

ScrappinMomma69

Asked by ScrappinMomma69 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Part of the fun/expectation of giving a birthday present & attending the party is that you get to see the child's reaction when they open it. Have her open it, pose for photo ops, then place in a laundry basket so you can take all the presents to a room for her to play w/ after the guests leave. Tell her ahead of time that you are going to wait till after everybody leaves so she can play w/ her new toys w/ out others breaking them. Also teaches delayed gratification, understand that her b day may not be the best day to teach her to share. If you don't open presents in front of the adult gift givers you're gonna have some pissed off guests!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree. I think is very selfish of you not to open the gifts at the party. I always hated this being done at weddings too. Giving gifts is about making someone happy. Part of that is seeing their reaction when they open it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I went to a party where the child did not open the gifts and I left feeling kinda upset. I'd never heard of someone not opening the gifts at a b-day party before, so I guess I just expected it. It was disappointing. I remember waiting and waiting, then turning to my DH to say, "When are they going to open the dang gifts already?" We will never know if the kiddo loved our gift or not...sigh.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Thanks to all that answered! I think I will have her open her gifts. Although, I beg to differ with all about being upset or pissed off! OUCH a little harsh! Now thinking about it, she'll only be having 3 kids her age at her party. I will explain about playing with them after the party. She's really good at understanding things as long as I explain it to her. Now, just hope the other Mom's step in if their child should try to grab her gifts!
    ScrappinMomma69

Answer by ScrappinMomma69 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I mean the parents not the kids when I was talking about pissed, some may feel slighted & get mad about it. The kids could really care less, watching another open presents @ that age means jealousy that the other kid's getting presents & that's one of life's lessons. Some moms may hold a grudge.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I cant believe that you would even consider NOT opening the gifts at her party, just because you daughter is a brat and doesn't know how to share! What are you teaching her by waiting?? More selfishness??
    Anonymous

• um youknowi agree with you. i made the mistake of letting my dd open her presenst when she turn 2. but we ddint actually take them out of the box. we went putside to play. when i noticed on of the lil girs we had invited was missing( ihad put dd presents in my room) so i go into my house and open my room and there she is opening and playing with my dd toys and she hhad open them anad theyr were out of the box. iw as o pissed her mom knew i was piseedf so she too her 3 girls and left. her kids borke some of dd's toys and then one of them went into my room made a huge mess. that was the first and last time they step foot in my house
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• That is a very smart idea...If "Just Married" couples can do it I don't see why you babygirl can't.

But to tell you the truth I wouldn't know how to go about it...Will you say...Ahem! everyone and tap on that crystal glass and say my dd will not be opening gifts in front of your dd's bc it will Caos...lol JK just do what works for you. I was just messing with you...lol Or just place them in a room for later opening they don't need to know just pretend you forgot to open presents...lol but only you and dd know better...hehehe...Have fun!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The expectation is that people will get to see the child open the gifts...especially since it sounds like most of the guests are adults. If you are doing favors for the children attending the party, you can always give them their favors while your daughter is opening her gifts, so they are distracted, and hopefully the parents will have enough sense not to let them interfere with the gift opening.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 2:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I cant believe that this is actually a question! Parents just get stupider and stupider and kids keep becoming the "center of the world". --- Opening presents is part of a birthday party and if your dh cant handle it .... DONT have a party!
    You know that you dont actually have to open the boxes, right? Explain to her ahead of time that you dont want kids to break and/or lose her presents, so after she unwraps them, you wont open them until everyone leaves.
    Why is this a big deal?!?!?
    Anonymous