How old was your child when they started to learn how to write their name and recognize letters and numbers?

My son turned 4 in August and he started learning to write his name and write and recognize letters and numbers about a year ago from preschool/daycare. But, it doesn't seem like he has progressed at all. I know kids learn at different speeds but is he behind schedule or right on track? He can recognize his name, but forgets how to write each letter and can only recognize about 3-4 letters of the alphabet. He can say the alphabet fine, but as far as recognizing the letters and numbers, what do you think?

8mama2005

Asked by 8mama2005 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is 2 and recognizes the letters, we're working on writing them now. he's actually writing the letter "A" as i type lol. we'll be working on his name here soon.

he might be lacking behind, or he could be dislexic? i'm not a doctor, but i know that some kids get their letters backwords, sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's something else.

maybe make flashcards, and work on one letter a week. that's what i'm doing with ds. like we started with A the first week, the B, then the third week we did A and B, then the forth week did C...and kept on with the pattern. we did take a break for the holidays and daddy coming home from deployment so i'm starting back up again on monday. we also do crafts that start with the letter, glue things on the letter (like cheerios), and i have him trace the letter with his finger and pencil. you can get big spaced paper and make a connect the dot for letters, and sing the letter song.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They knew the letters and could read them when they were 3. But they didn't write their names until about 5 and could only write a few letters at 4. The older boy read when he was 4.

Answer by Bmat at 10:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My dd was 2 by the time she knew how to spell her name and knew her alphabet...also recognized numbers and could count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish.
    My ds also knew his alphabet by 2 and how to spell his name and the entire alphabet...and to count to 20 in English, 20 in Spanish, and 10 in German. He'll be 4 on Saturday, and he just started writing his name...I mean, he writes "K-e-g-a-n"...but the letters aren't right next to eachother yet. WE'RE WORKING ON IT!!!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My dd's 9 mo & has been recognizing letters & numbers since she was 6 mo, made my own flash cards & do sign language w/ her, she loves to play & the alphabet song is one of her favs. Make it fun for him, get flash cards & be silly w/ it like "A is for Aligator" & then act like your gonna eat his tummy like a gator. Blocks w/ letters & numbers are great too, this way he can hold em & choose w/out destroying them like he might w/ the cards.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• He's done the zoophonics thing and knows all the Ally the Alligator, a-a-a. Bubba the bear, etc. But he's not doing well with recognizing the letters when he sees them. Sounds like he may be a little behind? He can count to 100 in English and 10 in Spanish and he's known the alphabet forever, but as far as recognzing letters when he sees them or writing them, he's lacking behind I think???
    8mama2005

Answer by 8mama2005 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• ok sorry ran out of room but here's the song (got it from LeapFrog's Alphabet Factory) "The "A" says "ah", the A says "ah", every letter makes a sound, the A says "ah". i recommend the show, it's awsome. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2010