after your kids have learned the alphabet and recognized everything and have learned to write their names do you still teach them or do you just leave it up to the school and just help them with the home work that is sent home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Teaching is a DAILY thing, mama! During the summer, I still had my now second grader read and write, and do some math, and it really helped prepare her for the new school year.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• after kindergarten i only helped with homework, my child didnt need any extra help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My children know how to do all of those things, and they are 3 1/2, so they aren't in school yet. Teaching is an on-going thing. Why would it magically stop once they can do basic things?

I guess I am confused. Are you asking if we go over the alphabet and handwriting after they learn it, or if we continue to teach them other things like math and phonics, or do nothing after they have learned the alphabet and how to write their name?

We "refresh" as needed. One of my children struggle remembering the letter "q", and since they didn't learn it through the alphabet song, we write out the entire alphabet and also recite it to help him remember.

My children are doing wonderful with the phonics lessons, and both upper and lowercase letters, but are having a hard time grasping math and writing numbers. I think that this is in part due to their love of books, and the fact that they see letters everywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• anon with the 3 1/2 year olds...all i can say is wow....that is very impressive.

and personally i always try to help with homework and whatever extra that they need. i think that some kids get into extra work more than others....so i dont push it. i encourage learning and reading.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• At 14, I still can teach my daughter a few things. Learning can be a fun, family activity...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010