What would you do?

My husband and I have some extra income next month and we were planning to pay off an old credit card. On the other hand, right now my sisters marriage is pretty rocky and its possible it may be over soon. If we spend the money on the credit card we will not have the money to get a larger house so she will have a place to stay with her two boys. She really won't have anywhere else to go but at the same time we have not paid on this card in almost 2 years and have offered a very good settlement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you are wanting to get a bigger house...they are most likely going to make you pay off that card anyway
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would pay the card. You would be better off if you pay it because it would be one more thing that you wont have to worry about. You can always help out your sister. But why should you ahve to get a new house to accommodate her. Let her stay with you for a little bit untill she can get back on her feet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Pay off the card. This will clear more money in the future always instead of continuing to throw money away on interest. Just my opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Say that you pay $100 a month on interest on the card, and that you have $1000 extra money. If you pay off the card, in 11 months you will have made up the $1000 and be ahead of the game every month by $100.

Answer by Bmat at 10:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would pay off the card.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Your sister problem is hers, let her figure it out herself. Just like you are trying to figure out to pay your credit card off. Maybe she can stay at your parents for a short time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2010