Do you give out a Social security no.# on Job applications?

Just curious. Do you give out your social security no.# when asked to on a job application? If not what do you do? Thank you for answering!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have never been asked to provide one, and if I did I would not give it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Nope, not till asked when being offered the job, if they aren't gonna offer me the position then they don't need my tax id #. I tell them I will provide it if offered a position & explain I've been a victim of identity theft, that satisfys their curiosity as to why I don't provide it.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• you dont have to, even if they ask for it. but its really there to check your criminal record. so more than likey some ppl wont get hired if they dont give it out. just all depends on the company. to answer your question... i DO NOT. because they do not need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yeah i do. if u cant trust a potential future employer, then you shouldnt be working for them.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I've never seen it on an application (but then I haven't applied for that many jobs) You will have to provide it after getting the job though. A girl who got a job where I worked had lost hers and she had to go through a whole lot of crap to get another one or she couldn't work. I lost mine years ago and don't want to screw around with getting another one. Good that I'm working at home I guess. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i do. and as a previous manager, if an application is not filled out completely then it gets put to the side. Some places will ask, others will not. I guess if someone is going to be dishonest they could with that info, but i never had an issue or reason to worry.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I worked as a retail manager for seven years and we used the soc number to screen applicants just as someone said. If I thought an applicant was good otherwise I would call them an have them fill out the number at the interview and explain what it was for. If they refused or couldn't provide I stopped right there in the hiring process and assumed there issues that would prevent me from hiring.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sure.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You should not give out your social security number on an application, nor your date of birth, nor your driver's license.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They shouldn't even ask for one.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010