funny question

so you cannot use the lords name in vain.... but my son is named Augustine after the saint... he goes by Gus most of the time but when he is in trouble i use his whole name... so do the saints shudder when i yell "AUGUSTINE!" if your kid is named after a saint and you yell that name- does that play into that whole issue of using the name in vain?? yes i am kinda joking.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, considering how many hispanic males are named Jesus, is that taking god's name in vain since christians consider Jesus to be god? Who knows what god's name actually is--Jehovah, Yahweh, Elohim are all titles, NOT names. How can you use his name in vain if you don't know exactly what it is? Even the word "god" is just a supposed description--not a name. As for the saints, I think the St. Michael knows when my daughter is petitioning him and when she's yelling at my grandson Michael to stop climbing on the stove! But it's a hilarious notion. Screaming at your son and having St. Augustine jump out of his halo! LOL!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• errrrrrrrrrrr ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• always the anon....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• lol....thats funny....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• lol

My daughter's named for a goddess:  DIANA

So when she's naughty am I taking the LADY's name in vain?  No.  I'm just hollering at my 2y/o! 

"Diana!  NO! NO!  Leave the kitty alone!"  "Diana!  NO! NO!  Get out of that plant!"  "Diana!  NO! NO!  You may NOT play with my pen!"  "Diana!  NO! NO!  Get down from there!!" 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• eye rollingwhatever.

Anonymous

• LORDS name in vain. Not SAINTS name in vain. A Saints name means absolute poop. Nothing sacred about it.
    Anonymous

• LOL...the Bible says I am a saint but if you want to say yell at me by name surely you are not take the name of the Lord ( Father, Son, Spirit, Jesus) in vain. Just His name ; ) Saints r just people ; )
    dcwhite4him

Answer by dcwhite4him at 3:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• lol thats cute :)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010