coffee/pregnancy

i am 2 days from being 35 weeks pregnant. can i have more than 2 cups of coffee? i would always have 2 small cups through out my pregnancy. just wondering if it is ok to have my normal amounts from before i was pregnant. (3 big cups).. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it is "ok" but remember that your baby is getting that caffeine too.

http://www.babyplaceonline.com/Pregnancy-Central/Caffeine-Use-During-Pregnancy/

"As your pregnancy progresses, your metabolic ability to process caffeine slows down, increasing its effects. Some of the effects of caffeine, such as dehydration, can be harmful to the fetus and mother. In addition, caffeine is easily transferred through the placenta from mother to fetus. Since fetuses have a much less mature metabolism, a fetus may experience higher levels of caffeine for longer periods of time than its mother.
    Some studies have reported that even small intakes of caffeine affect the heart rate of the fetus and the fetus' movement patterns. "

it's kind of like i know it's "okay" to have a soda a day, but i try to limit it to 1 or 2 per week because i know while it's "ok" that doesn't mean the sugar and caffeine aren't bad for me and my baby.

:)
    Anonymous

• it is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I completely avoided any caffeine during pregnancy, I had a friend who had 2 miscarriages and on the 3rd try cut out caff totally and had a beautiful baby girl
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 12:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010