how long should i let baby cry in crib before picking her up

i am trying to start a bedtime routine, but baby will cry when i lay her in her crib. how long should i let her cry before saying enough is enough

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I personally have a "5 minute Rule" No more. That is just me, I can't let her cry for any longer than that.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• well it all depends on the situation, i stop to think if she needs to be changed or fed or if anything else is wrong, if all the above is ok, i would normaly let her cry it out until she fell asleep.. unless it goes on for more than 3 hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• only at 5 or 10 minute increments. hold her snuggle her and kiss her for about 5 minutes, then lay her down, cover her up and leave the room. when she starts crying, let her cry about 5 minutes then lay her down without picking her up/talking to her, then leave again. when she cries the next time let her cry about 7 minutes then lay her down...then keep going longer until she falls asleep
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If baby is less than six months, CIO advocates say NOT AT ALL. It's too young and baby doesn't understand what you're dojng. OVER six months? Try the methods above. But be aware that CIO does NOT work for ALL babies. There is no one size fits all for all babies... although I will say that what I have seen consistently work is parents abandoning the "shoulds" of the books and following BABY's cues Everyone sleeps better when baby is put down in deep sleep mode, not awake at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• For me it all depends on how she is crying. My dd does what we call complaining when we put her to bed. Sounds kind of like crying but she is just whining more or less. I let that go for awhile because it means she is tired and she falls asleep in 5 to 10 minutes. If she is truly crying, I usually go and get her. For her that means she isn't ready to go to bed. If I bring her out and try again 10 to 15 minutes later we usually get the complaining and she goes to sleep. My oldest I let cry it out more, go in every five minutes or so and he would usually be out in 10 minutes if not less. My 2nd son couldn't cio. He would just scream and cry forever if you let him. I always patted his back to have him go to sleep. They all have different personalities. My boys are now 2 and 3 and go to sleep fine by themselves. You know you child, just do what you feel is best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• How old is she? Her age will drastically change the answers.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• how old is the baby?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Age matters. If she's less than 6 months old you shouldn't be letting her cry on purpose at all. You cannot sleep train before 6 months because the part of the brain that regulates sleep isn't developed yet. After 6 months, you can do the Ferber method but I never at any age feel that the rigid cry it out method is appropriate.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Age?
    Anonymous

• how old is the baby. that makes al the difference.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010