Forced Weaning? How to make it easier?

My friend is a BFing mom of 19 months. She was recently admitted into a mentally ill center. Her children are with her mother but the 19 month old is having a really hard time. She was an on demand nurser so he usually nursed 8-12 times a day and had her nipple in his mouth almost the whole time he slept. Now she's not there. Is there anything I could suggest to them to make it easier on him and them? Thanks.

sunnyflower417

Asked by sunnyflower417 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, that's sad. Are they offering the baby a bottle?, I would try that, a bottle w room temp milk maybe.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 12:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Not really. He just needs a lot of comfort and a lot of hugs. At 19 months, he didn't need to nurse as long as he's being fed well. This is more of an emotional weaning than anything. I weaned mine at 18 months and just offered the sippy cup a lot. I offered milk, but she hated it. Many advise trying a lovey, though mine never took to one. Just be sure the toddler is well fed and hydrated (since he will be missing all of those nursing sessions) and give him plenty of positive attention and fun activities.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Thank you. He tried to latch on to grandma today. I feel so bad for him :(
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• There isn't much to do to help him. He was nursing for the nutrional value of it and because it was always a comfort to have mommy that close. With him being that close to mom, it will be hard. They can try something with mommy's scent and when he wants to "nurse" use a bottle and cuddle him like mom did when she nursed and have "mommy's scent" right there. It might him.

I feel so sorry for him.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• This was back in Feb, she still does not have her children, but they are thriving in foster care! Her on the other hand, is not doing well at all.
    sunnyflower417

Comment by sunnyflower417 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010