Strave a fever-feed a cold?

This is def an old wives'tale.correct?Maybe this is how they did things 50 years ago,but we are not suppose 2 starve our kids if they are sick.m I wrong?My 10 mo dd has a cold (we went to the doctor's yesterday) n she had a fever 4 bout a day n a half(its gone now)My MIL(who is 66)seemed actually angry with me that I told her when we got home I planned on feeding her the homemade mango apple sauce I made her(because I knew it is packed with vit C)anyway,I tried 2 tell her that was an old wives tale and that I wasn't going to starve my baby,I wasnt gonna force feed her either.If she didn't want to eat I would just nurse her,but I was at least gonna try to feed her.She seemed so offended by what I was telling her n insisted that I was wrong.She even suggested I give my baby an enema to release the toxins from her,because that's what she used to do.So starve her n give her n give her an enema?M i the only 1 who thinks this isnuts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, don't listen... you may find that she isn't hungry, but if she is then let her eat!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My son is 8 months and i would NEVER starve him if he has a feever. He needs what is in food to make him healthy.
    Anonymous

• Let the little one eat if she is hungry. I've read that this old adage comes from when a person has a fever that she doesn't feel much like eating, but if she has a cold she will eat, and that the adage was turned around at some point to feeling that you shouldn't feed a person with a fever, when that wasn't what it meant at all.

Answer by Bmat at 12:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• "Starve a cold, feed a fever" basically means that when a person (above 1 year old) is ill, don't force them to eat food but make sure they stay hydrated. It isn't so much an old wives tale as a rule of thumb, but it doesn't apply to infants under a year old whose main "food" is breastmilk or formula. It doesn't mean to literally starve them either, just means push liquids and don't worry if they won't eat normal solid food.
    Anonymous